Thursday, April 23, 2009

Guest Blogger - Suzanne Caltabiano

See Suzanne's "bio" on Colleen's Blog


I want to take you back to the days of working at Mom and Dad’s 7-11.

At the time I was living on my own away from both of my own parents. I started working at their store. I needed health insurance coverage and Dad told me I had to work a minimum of 30 hours a week to get coverage. So this is what I did while attending college full-time. After a couple of months it was starting to be too much for me to keep up with my school work and the hours at the store. Dad told me he was going to lower my hours and keep me on the insurance. For a 20 year old girl living on her own THIS was a BIG DEAL. He did not have to do that for me. To this day I don’t even know how he did that knowing he (and mom) had to most likely submit payroll to the Southland Corporation and answer to them. Some things you just don’t forget!

I lived at the Corbett residence for a year. I remember it was during the holiday season and there was a stocking hung in their home for their 4 children, anyone they may have been dating and me! I did not expect a stocking with my name on it but it did make me feel special. It’s possible they even had a stocking for Herbie and Cassie, (the dogs) I can’t remember! They always made everyone feel included.

Your mom and dad are the true meaning of parents. They have a special way of touching everyone’s heart.


To this day I think back to the way they handled anything from financial matters to loving their friends and family. They were role models for me for years. When Dad or Mom would talk to any of their children’s friends, they would talk to you like you were their own. They would look in your eyes and give you advice as if they were your own parent. Mom would rip money right out of your hand on payday to put in your xmas club savings she opened at the bank. She would wipe makeup off your face if she thought you had too much on. AND yes Dad would send you upstairs to change if he did not like what you had on.

I hope I was able to create a picture in your mind.

There is a reason why flowers were made into a shape of King of Hearts and Dad’s funeral.

Love to both of them.
XXX OOO XXX

Suzanne

0 comments: