Saturday, April 25, 2009

Guest Blogger - Melissa Shongood

See Melissa's "bio" on Colleen's Blog.

I have so many wonderful memories of the Corbett’s. These were some of the best days of my life, and even though I was so young I can remember it like it was yesterday. Danny was my father’s best friend. To this day my father cannot speak of him without getting teary eyed. We all miss him tremendously but Danny’s legacy will live on forever.

I can remember vividly going to work with my father at Seven Eleven and Danny giving me anything I wanted. I was his little helper and I loved every minute of it. I have yet to see anyone throw a party like the Corbett’s did. Every party was catered beyond anything you could ever imagine. There was always a party going on over there. The best part was he would always call us for the leftovers. YUMMY! Not only were they the best parties, but when the ice cream man came he would tell every kid to get whatever they wanted. That is every kid’s dream. He didn’t care how much it cost; I truly believe that it warmed his heart to make people happy.

He was one of the most generous people you could ever meet in your life. When we got hit with Hurricane Gloria, he put all six of us up in a hotel so we could take showers and be safe. He really was my father’s closest and best friend. He would always lend a hand or help us out in any way he could. My parents wanted to take us upstate to visit some family members and we couldn’t all fit in my dad’s little Hyundai, so he let us borrow his Cadillac. Just another selfless thing he did for us. He never expected anything in return.

Danny had a way of making you laugh until your stomach hurt. I can still hear his voice in my head telling me to “Go sweep the sun off the sidewalk”. I can remember asking my mom how was I supposed to sweep the sun off the sidewalk….was there a special broom I needed? I now know that you can’t sweep the sun off the sidewalk, but I can’t wait to tease my kids with that.

The list can go on and on of all the wonderful things the Corbett’s have done for my family. I feel so blessed to have been able to have them in my life. I will cherish every memory I have had with you guys and I will always hold a special place in my heart for your dad. I really love you guys! Thanks for the memories.

This is Marie jumping in now - this is our dad and Melissa in our pool. Melissa keeps this picture on her refridgerator still to this day!!! We can't even tell you how touched we were when we found this out. Melissa was the kid who fell in the pool without a life jacket all of the adults were on the deck so it was a quick and easy rescue - BUT - the next morning our mom got up and looked out the window and dad was out there hanging up life jackets in any size you could need. From that point on even if you weren't allowed on the deck without a life jacket on - unless you could pass his swim test!!!

0 comments: