Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Don't Sterotype

So twice between yesterday and today I have been personally affected by sterotypes.

1. I am 1/2 Irish - guess what, I didn't drink green beer, didn't get drunk and stumble all over, I don't drink on a regular basis at all and I didn't eat corned beef and cabbage. BUT I did wear green in honor of my dad and my heritage and so did my kids.

2. I am a government employee - guess what, I am not lazy, I am college educated, I work very hard and take my responsibility to the tax payers of Charlotte very serious. Most of my co-workers left big businesses and accounting firms to come work here. I LOVE my job - it is a perfect fit for me and my family - I do resent when people think all government employees are slackers or people who couldn't work elsewhere. Everyone in my department could work elsewhere and we have - we happen to have an awesome boss who understands what it is like to have a family and in return we never abuse that. Most of us could make more money working somewhere else - but we enjoy what we do and the people we work with.

So those are the two that hit me personally in less than 24 hours. I encourage everyone to think about what you are going to say, before you say it. Don't classify "groups" of people as if they all have like characteristics.

There are many more sterotypes that annoy me for sure - but I would rather not give them a spotlight and I don't want to offend anyone that would be perceived to be in "the group".

0 comments: