Friday, July 31, 2009

Unwritten

This morning I heard the song "Unwritten" by Natasha Bettingfield - then I experienced a wave of emotions that I sure wasn't planning on from one little song.

It started with me thinking of my niece Amber and how she would turn purple when she used to sing this song because the chorus is so long....

That went to "how can she be starting middle school this year???" and of course tears....

Which were followed by "Christina (my oldest niece) is going to be a senior in highschool and a year from now she could be going away to college" more tears....

Then "Devin (my oldest nephew) is starting High School this year!!!" really, can that be??? I still see him all chubby full of rolls walking around in his diaper....

Moving onto "Kayla and Taylor (my 15 year old nieces) are learning how to drive - didn't they just learn how to walk???"

If you follow my blog you know that I have 13 nieces and nephews ranging in age from 2 - 17. I love them like they are my own and I pray for all of them. I pray in life the mistakes they do make will be ones that are easy to recover from and not ones that will haunt them.

I pray that like the song says they realize that if they do make a mistake, tomorrow is a different day, a fresh start, a clean slate to start over and re-write their "book" so it has the ending they want it to have. It is never to late for change. I also pray that they (and all of the adults in their lives) realize that they are the only person who can write their book. We (as adults) all have advice and life lessons to share with them and hopefully they learn from them. The hardest part about loving these kids (as their Aunt or Parent) is realizing they do need to make some decisions on their own and that they will make mistakes. All we can do is pray that all we have shared will influence the decisions they make.

My thoughts this morning focused on the older grouping of kids in my family - not because I don't care/worry as much about the younger ones but because I feel like the older ones will be faced with so many challenges and choices in the near future - and like I said, I pray their future is bright and all they want it to be.


I am unwritten, can't read my mind, I'm undefined
I'm just beginning, the pen's in my hand, ending unplanned

Staring at the blank page before you
Open up the dirty window
Let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find

Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions
Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten

Oh, oh, oh

I break tradition, sometimes my tries, are outside the lines
We've been conditioned to not make mistakes, but I can't live that way

Staring at the blank page before you
Open up the dirty window
Let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find

Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions
Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins

Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten