Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Luck of the seat

A few weeks back Joe and I went on vacation with our kids. The place we were staying gave us tickets to a dinner show. The show was great and we all really enjoyed it - but I walked away with so much more than a good meal and show.

The 4 people to the right of me were 3 older people and a young girl. When I say older it is not because I am young - it will play into my story....

As we were sitting before the show started I struck up a conversation with the gentleman that was right next to me. They were all from Atlanta but him and his wife met here in Charlotte at Johnson C. Smith University. We chatted for a while and they were asking me if I knew certain people they knew that worked for the County/City. Of course we talked CIAA as well!!! They were so nice and personable and those who know me - know I love to talk to new people.

At one point I asked them who the lucky little girl at the end of the row was??? It was the other ladies granddaughter and she is 6 years old. They then started telling me how their friend takes this little girl where ever she can and how she spends so much of her time with her. They were wondering/hoping out loud if the little girl would appreciate all of this as she got older. The show started and we all settled in to watch.

Throughout the entire show I was thinking about what they said. I was flooded by so many great memories of all that my grandmother (Nanny Connie) did with and for me. Nanny Connie never had a lot of money but she was so giving of her time - and that was so much more important. She lived in Brooklyn and would take turns having each of her grandchildren come for a week in the summer. She made dresses and knit sweater and blankets for us and our children. When Joe and I got married she came to help me set up my kitchen and showed me where to place everything so it would be easy to reach while I cooked. She would sit on the floor - well into her 80's - and push cars around with Little Joe - and she always let Danielle help her cook. Just that one sentence from them triggered all of these memories and so many more.

When the show was over, I stopped before we were leaving and told the couple that they brought back so many great memories about my grandmother for me. I told them that what their friend and they were doing with and for this little girl would be something she would always remember and be grateful for - I did tear up a little but I was not ashamed I wanted them to know their significance in the girls life. They were so thankful that I stopped and let them know that. We all enjoyed each others company that night - and we all benefited from being seated next to each other.

2 comments:

Colleen Gebhardt said...

Nothing like something sparking some Nanny Connie memories....simply the best...

MaricrisG said...

I too, have grand memories of my grandma and I have a soft spot for them. I'm sure that little girl will remember this times and will make her a better person when she's older.

Visiting here via Colleens' blog in my quest to find more charlotte bloggers like you and me :)

Glad to be here.
Maricris
where I blog: http://zenforyou.dalefg.net