Wednesday, February 25, 2009

40 Days of Giving and Giving Up

For Christians the season of Lent is for sacrifice and doing something positive for others.

For both adults kids it is easy to pick something to "give-up" and then over indulge on Easter Sunday, this year my family will be not only to "giving-up" but "giving" as well. My children have learned that we are very blessed, they both know that while we don't have a pile of money we are RICH because we have more than we need. I am a giver by nature and I love seeing my children give with ease.

The other day Joseph came home and said "Mommy there is a girl in 4th grade who's liver is not working and the school is having a change drive for her so we can help her. Can we give our can of change (that we save for vacation) to her?" My heart leaped when he said that, he knows exactly what the change is for yet he would rather give it all to this girl in need!!! As I prayed over him this morning I asked God to keep that selflessness in his heart as he gets older.

Our pledges for lent:

Danielle - I will do my best when I say something to follow through with it. (this is very, very significant for her right now)

Joseph - I will pray everyday for Aunt Rose (I pray that she is happy in heaven), I will pray for the people in the hospitals and I will pray for Sharron (that is the girl from school).

Dad - I will stop and think before just saying "no" to the kids. I will work on becoming more of a "yes" dad.

Mom - I will read the Bible for at least 20 minutes a day, no matter what. I will carry it with me at all times so I don't find an excuse. I will stop whatever I am doing when my mother asks me for help on the computer. She asked me recently and I was "so busy" that when I got to help her I was rushed and didn't realize she was deleting pictures she wanted to keep instead of the ones she didn't want. My mother deserves better than that from me and if you know her you know how much her photos mean to her.

So tell me what will you do during Lent???

1 comments:

Colleen Gebhardt said...

That's awesome that you did it as a family. You go sista!