Friday, August 1, 2008

Songs = Memories

We all have songs that know matter when or how many times we hear them remind us a special person in our lives. I heard one of those songs on my way into work today which is what prompted this post. Here is a list of some of mine........

Daniel (Elton John) - my dads name and the song I heard this morning. Every time I hear it I look up at the clouds towards Heaven and think of him.

From This Moment (Shania Twain) - my niece Kayla. Back in 1998 we met her family in Disney World and she sung the song for me - I asked her when she got home to call my house and sing it in my answering machine (she was only 4 so I was really asking Regina) and she did. I played it daily until the machine gave out - it was such a sweet way to keep her close to me. I still, here in 2008, can not hear the song without crying.

Follow The Leader (Soca Boys) - my daughter Danielle. This was her Hip Hop song for her recital this year - and this was her break out year. Such a fun and upbeat song but I cried everytime - tears of a proud mother!!!

Temperature (Sean Paul) - my son Joseph. He loved this song and everytime it played he would stand in front of our television and watch himself dance.

In Da Club (50 Cent) - Andre. This is mine and his song to dance together - no matter what is going on.

Ignition Remix (R Kelly) - Daryl. I love the way she "bounces" her shoulders when she hears it.

Mo Money/Mo Problems (Biggie) - Danny DoCabo. We were out for New Years Eve and dancing all night - we were ready to go and this song came on and he was like - ONE MORE SONG - I can still see his expression in my mind.

Hey Ya (Outkast) - my niece Christina. We were at Kim & Kevin's Wedding and I had such a good time watching her dance to this song.

Strokin (Clarence Carter) - my sister-in-law Maria. She knows why.......

Unwritten (Natasha Bedingfield) - my niece Amber. When it was at its most popular she would sing this song word for word her face almost turning purple so she wouldn't miss a beat.

Push It (Salt & Pepa) - my sister Colleen and her BF Joanne. This played at my brother's graduation party and they had a whole dance routine!!!

Yeah (Usher) - Kim. She knows why.......

I Believe in You and Me (4 Tops) - Steve & Regina. When they dance to this song the love between them is so OBVIOUS and heartwarming. And Regina sings too him....

Through the Years (Kenny Rogers) - Uncle Matt. (I am crying again) He danced to this song with my Mother-in-law when she got re-married 16 years after his brother died. The words have so much meaning for their family and what this incredible man did for his Sister-in-law and niece and nephews "Through the Years".

I got you Babe (Sony & Cher) - my parents. The words matched their love.....

Any REM or Midnight Oil - my brother Danny.

The following people have a few songs that always make me think of them:

Suzanne - Brown eyed girl (Morrison), Who's Crying Now (Journey), Crazy Train (Ozzy), Better Man (Pearl Jam), I'll be there for you (theme song from friends).

Tom - Follow the Leader (Soca Boys) - the happy ending dance in Jamaica will forever be a classic!!! I Love Rock & Roll (Joan Jett), I'll be there for you (theme song from friends), You shook me all night long (AC/DC).

Joe - My own prison (Creed), December 1963(Frankie Valli), Everybody Dance Now (C&C Music Factory), You're Still The One (Orleans), Time of My Life (from Dirty Dancing) and of course After All.

I will end with the fact that my sister Colleen needs a whole post on this topic - she is very musically connected and so many memories I have that include her have songs tied to them. That will be a whole post on another day.

1 comments:

Colleen Gebhardt said...

This is greatness! You forgot "shook me all night long" for Suzie! Those American thighs! HAHAHA!!! Lots of those songs remind me of your husband too-except the lovey ones, of course.