Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sunday Dinner...Italian Style

Growing up Sunday Dinners were often the highlight of the week for our family. Big dinners with immediate family and lots of times extended family were the norm. We ate early (between 2 and 3) and then if you were hungry later you had a "snack." 99.9% of our Sunday dinners were Italian Food. I guess you would say it was a tradition to eat pasta on Sunday's (Thurday's too) at our house...and most of our family did the same. The smells were delicious, the conversation crossing over as many as 4 generations and you always hated to see the day come to an end. I learned to cook just watching my mom, grandparents and my Great Aunt's prepare the meals. Joe's family had the same tradition and when we married we stuck with it. I can't say we do it 99.9% of the time anymore, mostly because life is busier and here in the South the summers are hotter and we do grill a lot in the summer. However for sure 99.9% of the time when we are home and it is not excessively hot we do Sunday Dinner, Italian Style.

Here are a few shots from yesterday's dinner.




Penne Pasta, Chicken Parm, Baked Ziti, Meatballs (with or without sauce) and garlic bread






Small version of our extended family. Nana, Amber, Joe, Alex, Danielle, Joseph & Colleen

Bella was so very hungry that she had to have a small snack waiting for dinner - that's why she is not in the group shot.


MANGIA (Monja) - Let's Eat!!!












3 comments:

Kristy said...

We had the exact same Italian Family traditions growing up. We still try and do them as much as we can, but do wish my kids could experience the whole family together(I too was lucky to have 3 or 4 generations at the table at once). Being that most are still in NY its hard :( I do miss those huge Sunday gatherings at 2:00 :)

Kristy said...

We had the exact same Italian Family traditions growing up. We still try and do them as much as we can, but do wish my kids could experience the whole family together(I too was lucky to have 3 or 4 generations at the table at once). Being that most are still in NY its hard :( I do miss those huge Sunday gatherings at 2:00 :)

Colleen Gebhardt said...

I remember hiding under the table so I wouldn't have to help clear it! And Entenmann's Coffee Cake for dessert. And fresh crabs and crab sauce. Remember the crabs used to try to crawl out of the sink. Molto Bene'.