Friday, January 6, 2012

Birthday Gift To Myself

December 30th was my 43rd Birthday. One thing I have always wanted to do was to go to a shelter and serve a meal. Don't ask me how by the age of 43 I hadn't done this...but I hadn't.


Our friends from the East Coast were coming to town for New Year's with their daughter and niece. After all of our plans were in place for their visit Danielle's dance studio (The Dance Company) sent out an e-mail for our December community service looking for volunteers to serve either breakfast or dinner on 12/29 or 12/30. Joe and I are morning people as are our friends...I called them to see if they would be interested in serving with us and they said yes right away. We signed up, 4 adults and 4 kids. One of our favorite families from the studio filled the other slots and we all went to serve together, breakfast on the 30th.


Amazing experience...one that I would love to relive monthly if possible. We served at The Center for Hope (women & childrens shelter) and the ladies and children we served were so, so appreciative, thankful and humble. Standing there and seeing all of them it was clear that everyones story was different...they were at the center due to different circumstances yet they were all in the same place right now.


It reminded me of how blessed our family is and how at any moment anyone of us could find ourselves in circumstances where we would need this type of help. All of our kids were incredible while they were there...carrying trays for older people, helping little kids to their seats or carrying their juice/hot cocoa for them...setting up and cleaning up with full cooperation.


Highlight of the entire morning...leaving the center Little Joe takes my hand, looks up at me and says "Mom, can we please do this on my birthday?" Absolutely son, absolutely.


0 comments: