Sunday, January 9, 2011

A moment in time

I am continually amazed at how a song can take us back to a very specific moment in time, good or bad.

I have experienced this often and actually had a moment just like this when I was taking Danielle to the orthodontist the other day.

Here is how it happened...

The topic on the radio was "What is your favorite non-lyric in a song that is made/sung by the singer or another member of the band?" Lots of great answers were being phoned in and I was really enjoying it. Then it happened...someone called in and said "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" you know it:

We-de-de-de

De-de-de-de

De-we-um-um-a-way

We-de-de-de

De-de-de-de

We-um-um-a-way

That was it for me...I immediately looked at Danielle and started crying. You see back in September 2010 our family and another family went to Disney World. We spent one day at The Animal Kingdom...one of our favorite shows there is "Festival of The Lion King." During the show when they sing this particular song they pick children from all throughout the audience and form a parade where they all sing and dance along. This time as the parade was forming one of the characters from the show approached a family sitting at the bottom of our section and asked if he could take their special needs son along with him in the parade. The boy was in a wheel chair and clearly needs lots of help...which is what prompted the cast member to ask his parents if it would be alright. All of this happened in about 5 seconds and the boy and cast member were on their way and in the parade. The boy was smiling from ear to ear, the cast member had a smile just as big as he pushed the wheel chair and...Me, Joe and our friend Lisa were all shedding tears - what a moment for all of us to see. YES, I realize moments like this happen, especially at Disney...but our moment was extended as we ended up being right next to this family as we exited the theater. The parents were so excited for their son and we could see how choked up they were over everything that just took place.

I have many very special Disney moments...and many songs that take me back to a special or not so special place in time...but rest assured any time I hear The Lion Sleeps Tonight I will think of this boy and his family, the cast member whos face is forever etched in my mind and my husbands reaction and how moved he was by something so simple.

Danielle was so moved by our moment in the car as I explained to her why I teared up that she is the one who just suggested I blog about it.

1 comments:

Colleen Gebhardt said...

I have TONS of these. some so meaningful, and others just fun! Do you believe in life after love after love after love....