Thursday, September 25, 2008

Things you can't part with

We all have things we can't part with. No matter how many times we are cleaning out and donating a few things just stay with us even if we only see them when we are cleaning out and donating.

My latest thing I can't part with......

We were cleaning out our storage area in our bonus room and donating lots of stuff to the Kidney Foundation. I came across a bag that had some table cloths, outdoor dishes, curtains and placemats. Joe was ready to bring the bag down stairs to add to the donate pile when they caught my eye......

When we moved into our house almost 10 years ago I found some curtains in Target that were "good enough" to hang in our kitchen until we could get "really nice" one's. Well they only had the long 84 inch curtains and we have a window above our sink in addition to the window in the eating area. So I bought 4 panels just knowing that my grandmother - Nanny Connie - would be able to cut the curtains and make them the right length. And I was right - she made them the perfect length. Now for the reason I can not part with the curtains - not because she cut them down -but because she made us 6 placemats with the "extra" material!!! My grandmother never wasted anything - and she always wanted to keep busy. She did this at the age of 82!!! And they were perfect - and she didn't take the easy way out and make them rectangle in shape - they are oval!!! So I folded the curtains and placemats and put them back in a nice box to keep in storage.

I may never use them again - but I will never part with them. To me they are a part of my grandmother and I want to hold onto as much of her as I can.

1 comments:

Colleen Gebhardt said...

I was in my storage tonight, shaking my head at the 6 rubbermaids that I have of Amber's memories. Now you KNOW my daughter, she will probably be like...Mom, why did you save all of this crap?