Wednesday, April 28, 2010

What I hope to teach my daughter

I am slowly learning how different things are for teenage girls in comparison to when I was a teenager. Now don't get me wrong, I won't put anything on teenage boys or girls 100%, I will just say that they are growing up much faster than I did.

Dating is very different now and I want to be prepared to guide Danielle when the time comes. (Many years from now!!!)

I want her to know her own self worth. I want her to get that from within and not feel like she needs to have a boy validate it.

I want her to let prospective suitors know what she expects of them and what they should expect from her right from the start.

I want her to let them know up front where she will draw the line.

I want her to have the strength to let someone go who is undeserving of her and her heart even if it breaks that same heart a little bit.

I want her to come to me or Joe or any of her Aunt's or older cousins that she feel comfortable with if she needs to talk...before it's too late.

I want her to chose friends who have her best interests at heart and I want them to all look out for each other when it comes to boys.

I want her to realize the importance of someone liking you from the neck up well before they like you from the neck down - and I hope she has clarity on that well before she needs it.

I want her to realize that if a man is not willing to sweat for her...she shouldn't let him sweat on her. (A quote from my friend Andre's Pastor)

I want to save her from a major "snake bite" type of heartbreak...even though I know I may not be able to.

With all of that said I certainly understand I can only do the best I can as her mom and the rest will be up to her - I know that there is a boy that may have the power to change or influence everything I have tried to teach her and that is absolutely the hardest part.

1 comments:

Jim, Heather, Jordan and Madison said...

I absolutely love this post from you. What wise and wonderful words. Daughters are so precious, and our son's are too, but there is just something about wanting to raise them up in a different way.
Thank you for your wisdom! :)