Tuesday, January 13, 2009

January 13, 1968

That is the day my parents were married. Roseann Louise Casertano married her prince, Daniel Edward Corbett......

From that union 4 children were born - Marie, Daniel Jr., Patricia and Colleen. There are now 9 Grandchildren as well.

My Dad went Home on April 8, 1992 - a very dark day for all of us. Yet his life is still celebrated by all of us. People here in Charlotte who never had the pleasure of meeting my dad "know" him because of all they have heard about him from all of us. My friend Tina uses many of my dad's expressions!!! And I love it.....

Many of the people closest to us "grew up" with my dad around and they still (almost 17 years later) talk about him and how much fun they had with him and how much they miss him.

My parents worked together in their own business - not many people can do that and remain happy. In the eulogy I wrote for my father's funeral I said to my mother "You were his right arm, his Rosie...." and that is exactly how it was. "Their song" was I Got You Babe (Sony & Cher) it was a reflection of them - they didn't always have a lot, but they had each other - and that was all they needed.

My mom has not been on one date since he passed. We have encouraged her at times to go out, do something for yourself instead of your kids and grandkids all the time. Her response:

"Once you have had caviar, you don't want just any fish....."

And so it goes - she had the love of her life and she is content to just continue to spoil the rest of us.

I hope all who read this have or find this kind of love in their lifetime.

2 comments:

Colleen Gebhardt said...

I really think we should have Melissa Shongood, Wendy, Suzanne, Tom DellaRatta, Joh..etc. just write a little tribute to him and post it. So people don't think we are making up this image of him just because he's gone. Something to think about....

Anonymous said...

"Once you have had caviar, you don't want just any fish....."

What a wonderful expression! Its unfortunate I never got to meet your dad, but I truly enjoy hearing the stories from you and your family.