Thursday, April 24, 2008

Her Form Of Therapy

My sister-in-law Regina is one of a kind. She is married to my husbands brother, Steve. I could not have hand picked a better, more loving person then her to be my sister-in-law. Frankly in my heart I now have 3 sisters instead of the two I grew up with.

Regina is a CPA - Full-Time working mom with 3 WONDERFUL daughters. When she is not at work she puts all she has into her girls and it shows. They are all polite, caring, respectful and on & on. And lets make note that 2 of them are teenagers!!! They value family - and I mean their extended family as well. They have learned this from their mother - who effortlessly hosts holidays, birthdays etc.....

Back to Regina - she has an amazing talent for baking. Anyone who has met her will request some of her baked goods. Back oh about 19 or so years ago Regina made her oldest niece's first birthday cake - it was an amazing clown - that first cake took 3 hours to decorate since as a newbie Regina didn't know about disposable pastry bags so she kept cleaning the one "real" one she had each time she changed colors. And so it began, all these years later and 10 niece's and nephew's later she is still at it - and I mean for all occasions and for our "extended" Charlotte family as well. It is just not a party/gathering without one of Regina's cakes.

Right now her life is extremely busy and she is being hit at all angles - so I called her last night and said "Please do not worry about making the cake for Danielle's Communion - I will just go get one". Well thank goodness I said that over the phone!!! She may have hit me if I was in front of her.... She said no, no I will absolutely make the cake for her (did I mention she is an awesome Aunt) which I followed up with "Regina you have so much going on...." again not hearing it she said no I will make the cake. Then she said (which she has said over and over) making the cakes is my THERAPY - and over the years it certainly has been. She gets so much joy out of the cakes and the reactions of the guest of honor and just all the guests. Like I said most people come to the parties just for her cakes!!!

So I say find your form of therapy (mine is writing) and embrace it!!!

Now to list a few of my favorite masterpieces as prepared by Regina:

The Dinosaur for Little Joe's Birthday - IT WAS ACTUALLY STANDING UP!!!
The Baby in a Stroller for Colleen's Shower
The Spaceship with Buzz Light looking out the window
The Hamburger Cake for Memorial Day - and I mean a stacked up burger with Lettuce, Tomato, Mustard, Ketchup all hanging out of the bun - that had sesame seeds on it!!!
The Aquarium for her niece Emily's Birthday with fish swimming and all

All of the cakes are beautiful and truly a labor of love, the above are just a few that overly impressed me.

1 comments:

Colleen Gebhardt said...

I would never let her off the hook. Reggie, if your reading this, I'll let you know as soon as I can what type of cake I need for Amber's birthday. LOL!! I know the cakes are gorgeous-and the best part for me is that they are a "cake-in-a-box". I don't care who you are you know those are your favorite kinds of cakes!