Thursday, July 29, 2010

Vacation Memories

Vacationing with Joe and the kids is very important to me...I want to build lasting memories for Danielle and Joseph and I want them to look back years from now and reflect on the quality time we spent with them.

When I was a kid our family always went to the same place for vacation. We didn't necessarily vacation every year but we always, always went to the same place when we could vacation. Lake George, NY...Mohawk Cabins...Cabin #7. Most of the time our grandparents (moms parents) went with us. As we got older we would bring friends and I am so, so happy that Joe came with our family on one trip so he could experience what I had been experiencing my entire life. When I say entire life...we probably started going when I was about 7 years old and when Joe came with us we were about 20. In my mind I clearly see the inside of the cabin...I see my mom unpacking and making the cabin feel like home for the week. I see my dad sitting on the couch watching TV or watching us play on the floor in front of him. I see the entire property and where the 4 of us would play. I see the back way out where we would walk down to the grocery store. I see the front exit where we could walk down to the arcade, old time photo shop and a variety of gift shops and other resort town type stores. I see my dad sitting on a bench outside drinking his morning coffee and people watching. I see my 2 sisters dressed alike. I see my mom cooking us dinner in the cabin after a fun day. I see my dad putting the van in neutral to coast down Prosperity Mountain to save gas!!! (of course he was a jokester) Without looking at any pictures I see so, so many things that I will remember and cherish forever...I wonder if when my parents started taking us there they even thought about the lasting effects those trips would have. I love them for giving me/us the simple things...time together.

The amusement park we would go to while up there

The little old lady's shoe...we took a picture every year in front of this shoe

Another amusement park we would visit...so pretty at night all lit up

We would go visit the North Pole too - and mail post cards from the post office that was right there



Mario's restaurant...we ate here one night, each time we were on vacation



Still open for business!!!









2 comments:

Kristy said...

Great post! I too remember all of our family vacations growing up and cherish those memories.
Lol, I saw your pic of the North Pole. We went there too!! Arianna thinks its "pretty cool" that I have been to Santa's workshop in the North Pole :)

Colleen Gebhardt said...

Oh my goodness! Where did you find the pictures! I LOVE it! aaaahhhh memories!