Thursday, November 12, 2009

Empire State of Mind

Most of you know that my family and Joe's family were born and raised in New York. Long Island to be exact. About 60 minutes from "The City."

I have been in Charlotte for just over 11 years and I love it here and know this is the best place to be raising my kids. However, I will always be proud to be a "New Yorker." We are Italian and lots of things NY represent our heritage. I want to bring my kids to "The City" now that they are old enough to soak it all in, but still young enough to be AMAZED by all of it!!!

I was listening to the radio this morning on my way into work and I heard the Jay Z/Alicia Keys song "Empire State of Mind" - some of the lyrics really got me thinking about New York and how blessed I was to live there for so long and how the lyrics are so representative of The City itself.

I am not going to post all the lyrics - just the chorus because that is what caught me the most.

New York
Concrete jungle where dreams are made of
There's nothin' you can't do
Now you're in New York
These streets will make you feel brand new
Big lights will inspire you
Let's hear it for New York, New York,
New York
If you have been there you will know what I mean when I say the moment you come up from Penn Station you have an automatic adrenilyn rush and an unbelievable feeling of "I can do anything." And that is basically what Alicia is saying here.

1 comments:

Because of Love said...

I really really want to go visit NYC again. It has been awhile since I was there last. (I guess since I was in high school...) I either want to go some time in spring or fall and do touristy things like Central Park, Ellis Island... but again I would love to go and see it during Christmas time.