Thursday, September 24, 2009

I see, I wish, I hope

Today would have been my Father's 66th Birthday. Unfortunately this is the 18th time he is not here with us to celebrate. My dad loved to celebrate the important days - not extravagantly but just surrounded by people he loved and who loved him.

I thought I would post things I see, I wish and I hope with regards to my dad.

I see a piece of him in all 9 of his grandchildren. Some have his blue eyes, some are left handed like he was, some have his kind heart and giving personality, some have his ability to be friends with people immediately, some would spend time with family above all else. Most importantly in ALL of them I see non-judgemental kids who don't see color, religion, social status etc... when they see others. And that comes from my sister's and I raising our children the way our parents raised us.

I see a piece of him in all 4 of us, Me, Danny, Pattie and Colleen. I love getting up early before everyone and enjoying a cup of coffee. My brother Danny is 100% our father in his work ethic - it is like looking at my dad all over again. Pattie spends most of her waking moments with her family. Colleen has his skin, Irish complexion, and his non-confrontational personality.

I see almost daily how much he meant to friends and family who keep his legacy alive and who constantly tell stories about him.

I wish he had met everyone's significant others (Joe is the only one he met before passing) so they would truly understand the awesome man he was.

I wish the kids knew Popa personally and not just through our stories. Although if you talk to them you may think they did know him personally.

I wish he was here to help us teach our daughters all he taught us about remaining strong, independent and not following the crowd as we were growing up.

I hope my brother realizes how proud our father would be of him and that most of the career decisions he has made would have been the same advice dad would have given him.

I hope our family continues to value the way we were brought up and holds close the traditions and importance of family that we were taught.

I hope and pray that I am 1/2 the parent that mine were.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to the bestest daddy ever!!

Colleen Gebhardt said...

That was me, signed in under brad. DUH!!