Monday, May 4, 2009

Why Did I Get Married???


Have you seen this movie? If you are married or in a relationship you should!!! Joe and I watched it on Saturday night. It is a great movie - once again Tyler Perry has written and directed an awesome film that we can all learn something from.
The story is about 4 couples who get together once a year to enrich their marriages. Sort of like your friends helping to keep you in check with reality and relationships.
I don't want to give too much away but here are what I considered the highlights without telling any one characters story:
In all marriages there is the 80/20 rule. You are pretty much guaranteed to get 80% of what you need/want from your spouse - you may meet someone else who seems like they have the 20% you are missing - but if you stray and go for the 20% you could lose the 80% forever.
If you are thinking about infidelity - think past the moment - past yourself and your needs - think about what it would do to your spouse - how it would hurt them - and also what it would/could do to your family.
If you are struggling in your relationship/marriage and are thinking about leaving - take the time to sit down with a piece of paper and on one side write all the good about the other person and on the other side write down the bad..... This exercise should help put it in perspective if you are totally honest with yourself.
And as Janet Jackson's character says so well:
Love God
Love Yourself
Love People
And you will have done the most important things in life.
Watch the movie and let me know what you think.

2 comments:

Because of Love said...

I will have to check it out.

Thank you so much for your kind, encouraging comments on my blog. I am so glad that I have gotten to know you through our blogs!

Colleen Gebhardt said...

Great post! Great lessons. I like the 80/20 part. Something to really think about. I mean, would it really be wise to jeapordize 80%...for 20?