Thursday, November 6, 2008

Let's Unite

The election is over and Barack Obama will be our next President. Whether you voted for him or not, the majority of our country did and whether you agree with all his views or not, he is our President. He deserves everyone's respect as John McCain would have, had he won.

Moving on............

As a nation we have made history with this election. It gives me great joy that my young children (9&6) see an African-American as President. Growing up I never, ever looked at people based on the color of their skin, our parents would not have that. Their friends were of every race and that is all me and my siblings have ever known. Thankfully my husband is the same way, but then again I guess I wouldn't have picked him if he wasn't!!! When Joe and I have a gathering at our house with all of our friends it is like a meeting of the United Nations, so that is all our kids know and they also never see color as an issue. I was very sad when my daughter came home from school one day and said to me "Mom, do you know there are people who will not vote for Barack Obama because he is African-American?" so I thought it was part of her history lesson that day - imagine my shock and dismay when she told me she had heard that from another kid at school. At that moment I sat both of my kids down and told them anyone could be President, white, black, spanish, chinese..... And I also told them we are all free to have our opinions and to vote for who we want, but I did use this comment as a way to teach them that as they move forward in life they will see that all people do not have the same views and they need to listen to what others say and pick and chose wisely who the chose to spend time with.

Wouldn't it be great if none of us saw color. Let's work on that and teach our children so their generation will be better at it and they will teach their children and they will be even better at it.... and so on.

UNITE - my word of the day!!!

1 comments:

Colleen Gebhardt said...

If we ever made a racial comment in our house growing up-we would be dead! We were raised properly. Unfortunately, not everyone is. I saw on Dr. Phil a lady that would literally shake everytime she was near an African-American man. Really?