Saturday, November 8, 2008

Is service still PG-13???

I hope I am not all over the place with this post - I will try to give you background before I get to the "story".

My husband and I were both raised Catholic and we are members of St. Mark's Church in Huntersville. My sister Colleen now attends Elevation Church in South Charlotte. Me, Joe and the kids love attending services at Elevation. Being Catholic we did not have Sunday School or E-Kidz we just attended services with our parents so that is what our kids are used to doing. Danielle and Joseph love to hear Pastor Steven speak - and I promise you at 6 years old Joseph can give you the "message" of the sermon he hears from Pastor Steven.

All of that to say we attended as much of the Visionary Love, Dream Sex series as we could - I felt it was such an important topic and with out meaning any disrespect one that Pastor Steven could relate to more than the Priest at our Church. So during that time Danielle and Joseph went to E-Kidz. Joseph really would much rather remain in his comfort zone but after his first E-Kidz experience he love it and couldn't wait to get back.

Fast Forward to this weekend. We have my sister Colleen's kids for the weekend so on Thursday night I said to Joseph "Do you want to go to E-Kidz on Sunday when we bring Aunt Colleen's kids home?"

Here is how it went from there:

Joseph: Fist pumping action (think Tiger Woods) Yes, I am going

Me: Great

Joseph: Well actually mom I would really love to come to service

Me: Ok I think that would be fine

Joseph: So mom do they do the PG-13 service just once a year so I can come to service every time now

Me: Well Joe it actually depends on the what they are talking about - then they decide if it should be PG-13

Joseph: Oh like if they are going to say cuss words

Me & Big Joe: Well no they don't really say cuss words in Church Joe

Me: (trying to educate him) Well actually the only "bad word" you might hear in Church is Hell

Joseph: Oh yeah right - well sometimes when you pray you say the word H E L L (he spelt it out)

Me: (to freak my husband out) Oh really like "God please don't make me do anything that will cause me to go to Hell"

Big Joe: MARIE

Joseph: Well not exactly but in other prayers

Big Joe: (very seriously) NO you don't use that word when you pray

Joseph: (Just as serious) Ugh Hello "The HELL MARY"

Needless to say I fell out - hysterical. He was sitting on Big Joe's lap while this whole conversation was going on and I thought he was going to drop him because we were so tickled.

So then Big Joe reviewed it is Hail not Hell. And again to laugh as grown-ups Big Joe says to me - That's my son, on the football field saying "Throw the Hell Mary".

1 comments:

Colleen Gebhardt said...

I love my nephew!

How about his lesson for this week?

"Pastor Steven likes Poison!"

For those of you who don't know, my nephew is a metal head.