Thursday, April 5, 2012

20 Years...The Blink of an Eye

20 Years ago today I lost my dad. Seems like just yesterday. I was 23 years old and I can see the events of that morning and the days just after his death as if I am walking through them again.

He was sick, lung cancer, and the original diagnosis was 10 years and I thought that sucked...imagine that he only made it 7 months???

I was a daddy's girl for sure. The sun rose and set on my dad...at least in my mind it did.

I carry him with me every moment of my life. Things he taught me, the unconditional love he gave us, the generous giving heart he had, the fun loving - lets have a party and spend time together person that he was. You may think I am idolizing a man who is no longer with us...I am not, anyone that knew him would be saying the same things.

While I feel blessed to have had him for 23 years and that in those years he had the biggest influence on me and that influence molded me into the person, wife and mother I have become, I also feel cheated that Danielle and Joseph will never know him...they will only know of him. My dads legacy is so strong that if you talk to any of his grandchildren you will think they spent time with him...unfortunately none of them did. They hear about him not only from us but from our family and friends and our parents friends and their children too.

Joe and his family knew my dad and knew him well. Just a week ago my brother-in-law told me he was thinking about my dad playing a game with us at Bella's birthday party...20 years later and he came to Steve's mind in one of his favorite settings, a family party. It made my heart smile to hear him say that.

20 years and my mom hasn't even considered dating...she says once you have caviar, you just don't want regular fish!

We did not have a lot of money growing up but my dad showered us in love and time and family and values...these things are far more valuable than material things. 20 years from now I imagine my dad still influencing his family and younger generations because you see...he lives on in me, Danny, Patty and Colleen.

My daily prayer is I leave a legacy like the one he left me for my Danielle and Joseph.

0 comments: